On his death bed, Alexander the Great summoned his generals and told them his three ultimate wishes:
- The best doctors should carry his coffin;
- The wealth he has accumulated (money, gold, precious stones etc.) should be scattered along the procession to the cemetery; and
- His hands should be let loose, hanging outside the coffin for all to see!
One of his generals, who was surprised by these unusual requests, asked Alexander to explain.
Here is what Alexander the Great had to say:
1. I want the best doctors to carry my coffin to demonstrate that, in the face of death, even the best doctors in the world have no power to heal.
2. I want the road to be covered with my treasure so that everybody sees that material wealth acquired on earth, stays on earth.
3. I want my hands to swing in the wind, so that people understand that we come to this world empty handed and we leave this world empty handed after the most precious treasure of all is exhausted, and that is TIME.
4. We do not take to our grave any material wealth, although our good deeds can be our travelers’ cheques. TIME is our most precious treasure because it is LIMITED. We can produce more wealth, but we cannot produce more time.
5. When we give someone our time, we actually give a portion of our life that we will never take back. Our time is our life!
6. So the best present that you can give to your family and friends, is your TIME.
Now what happens mostly we postpone the giving of time to the people we love the most in order to do other things. So my advise is to find a business model to build while you are still working. Build that business and you will be able to spend the time with your loved ones. Leave me a reply if you would like to find out more on how. The longer you postpone this the more likely it becomes that you will have the regrets that Alexander the Great had.